Team India head coach Ravi Shastri has opened up on the controversy surrounding limited-overs vice-captain Rohit Sharma's absence from the ODI, T20I and Test squads announced for the upcoming Australia tour.
Rohit Sharma's name was missing from all three squads announced by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
Rohit has been recovering from a hamstring injury that he suffered last month while playing for the Mumbai Indians in the ongoing Indian Premier League 2020 in the United Arab Emirates. He has missed 4 games so far due to the injury with Kieron Pollard leading MI in his absence.
The selectors therefore, didn't include him in either of the squads and instead the board stated that his progress will be monitored. But just hours after the squads were announced, Rohit was seen hitting the nets in a video posted by MI on their social media accounts.
Another thing which created confusion was that the selectors named Mayank Agarwal in all the three squads despite him also missing games for Kings XI Punjab due to injury.
Shastri has now revealed that Rohit's medical report states he could hurt himself again if he is rushed back but also made it clear that the coach doesn't have any say in the team selection.
"It's being handled by the people in charge of the medical part of it. We don't get involved in that. They have submitted a report to the selectors and they have gone about their business.
"I have no say neither I am a part of the selection committee. All I know is the medical report which says he could be in danger of injuring himself again," Shastri told Times Now.
There was also update on Rohit's injury from MI's stand-in skipper Pollard after their match against Delhi Capitals in Dubai on Saturday.
"Rohit is getting better and hopefully he'll be back soon," Pollard replied when he was asked about Rohit by Harsha Bhogle after MI's crushing win over DC.