Five 4-wicket hauls and a single five-for, fastest delivery reading 156.22 on speedometer, a mystery spinner, two gun Indian pacers and a little spin wizard in red -- IPL 2020 in UAE has not at all been a bad season for the bowlers. The start of the tournament some very high scoring matches but the slowing tracks in the later half had a lot for the bowlers as well. 56 matches have been played and that means it's time for the play-offs.
Mumbai Indians, Delhi Capitals, Royal Challengers Bagalore and Sunrisers Hyderabad have qualified for the play-offs. Three of of top-ten wicket-takers after the end of league stage of the 13th edition of IPL will not be seen in action further because of the ouster of their teams but 7 still remain in the race for the coveted Purple Cap.
A day before for the start of play-offs stage, the time is apt to recall these bowlers and their exemplary perfromances. Let's have a look at the list of top-ten bowlers, who caused most number of destructions with the red cherry.
1. Kagiso Rabada - Delhi Capitals' South Africa quick has scalped 25 wickets from the 14 league matches of the IPL 2020 season. He has the fifth-best bowling average of 17.80 in the tournament and fifth-best strike rate of 13.1. Along with his compatriot Anrich Nortje, Rabada has formed one of the most lethal pace partnership in the 13th edition of the IPL extragavanza. Rabada is one of the five bowlers with a 4-wicket haul in the tournament.
2. Jasprit Bumrah - Mumbai Indians' Jasprit Bumrah has led his team's pace unit from the front. The inclsuion of Trent Boult has given him the opportunity to bowl in middle and death overs freely. The 26-year-old has also been given the new ball at times, his roles have been vivid but he has justified all of them beautifully. 23 wicket from 13 league matches at an average of 15.73 and strike rate of 13.5. Bumrah also has a very good economy of 6.96, third best amongst the top-ten wicket-takers.
3. Jofra Archer - Rajasthan Royals' Jofra Archer occupy the 3rd spot to show the dominance of the pacers in the IPL 2020. The English quick featured in all the league games of his team and took 20 wickets at an average of 18.25, the sixth best in the league. Archer also has the best economy rate amongst pacers who have played 3 or more matches in the tournament. The 25-year-old's economy rate of 6.55 is 2nd best in the list of top-ten wicket-takers. Archer will no more bowl in the current edition becase his team is out of the tournament after losing to KKR in theur last match.
4. Yuzvendra Chahal - In a top-ten list dominated mostly by pacers, Royal Challengers Bangalore spinner Yuzvendra Chahal occupies the 4th spot. He is tied on 20 wickets with Archer but has an average lower than the Royals player. His strike rate of 15.9 is the best amongst the spinners and tenth best overall. His best figures of 3 for 18 came against Sunrisers Hyderabad in match 3 of IPL 2020.
5. Trent Boult - Mumbai Indians' left-arm pacer Trent Boult missed only a single league match and is the third bowler on the list with 20 wickets. The Kiwi's best figures in match came against Chennai Kings when he scalped 4 wickets for 18 runs. Boult has the 7th best strike rate of 15.4 and 11th best average of 20.90.Along with Bumrah, Boult was rested in his team's last league match against SRH. The two MI pacers 13 league matches each.
6. Mohammad Shami - Kings XI Punjab pace speahead Mohammad Shami is the second Indian fast bolwer in the top-ten list of players with maximum wickets in IPL 2020. The 30-year-old, who featured in all the league matches of his team, is the 4th bowler to finish with 20 wickets in the league stage. Shami, whose out of the tornament now, has an average of 23.00, strike rate of 16.1 and an economy of 8.57.
7. Rashid Khan - The Sunsiers Hyderabad spinner weaved magic in the 13th edition of IPL as well and scalped 19 vitals wickets for his team at an strike-rate of 17.6. He is the second spinner after Chahal in this illustrious list of bolwers. His economy rate off 5.28 is best among all the bowlers of the IPL 2020 season. Rashid's bowling average stands at 15.57.
8. Anrich Nortje - The fastest bowler of the IPL 2020 season, Delhi Capitals Anrich Nortje has give his comptariot Kagiso Rabada a perfect company in the 13-th edition of the cash-rich league. The pacer has 19 wickets at a strike rate of 15.8 till now. Nortje's economy rate is just below 8 at 7.96 and his average stands at 21.10. Nortje played 13 matches DC in the league stage.
9. Varun Chakravarthy - Mystery spinner of the season Varun Chakravarthy helped KKR on a lot of ocassions in the season. He played 13 league games for his team and succeeded in taking 17 wickets at crucial junctures of the game. Chakravarthy, who dimissed MS Dhoni twice in the season, ended the league stage with a good economy rate of 6.84. Also, he is the only bowler to have taken a 5-wicket haul in this season of IPL. The Karnataka-born has been rewarded for his good show by getting a place in India's T20I squad for Australia tour.
10. Rahul Chahar - Mumbai Indians' third bowler in the top-ten list of wicket-takers in the IPL 2020 season, Rahul Chahar has been the silent assasin for his team. 13 matches and 15 wickets for him at an economy of 7.80. He has solely handled the spin department of the pace heavy Mumbai Indians bowling attack.