Gunmen at large, Indian embassy in Austria issues caution following Vienna terror attack

4 weeks ago 6

The Indian embassy in Austria has issued caution for the Indian community in Vienna following the terror attack in the city in which five people were killed by gunmen. While authorities killed one of the attackers, others may still be at large.

The Indian embassy has posted on Twitter, “The Embassy would like to assure the Indian community in Vienna that we are in touch with authorities for your safety. All are advised to exercise caution since terrorists may still be at large.”

Meanwhile, as a precautionary measure following the Vienna terror attack, the Austrian embassy in New Delhi shut down for the public till November 11. The Austrian embassy said, “We ask for your understanding.”

What happened in Vienna?

Death toll in the Vienna terror attack rose to five as others succumbed to injuries. Seven others continue to remain critical. Multiple gunmen targeted six locations in the Austrian capital of Vienna and targeted housing areas near a Jewish synagogue.

Austrian Interior Minister Karl Nehammer said, “We experienced an attack yesterday evening by at least one Islamist terrorist, a situation that we have not had to live through in Austria for decades.”

Authorities are still trying to determine whether further attackers may be on the run. People in Vienna have been urged to stay at home Tuesday.

Oskar Deutsch, the head of the Jewish community in Vienna, said it was not clear whether the main synagogue had been targeted.

Soon after the attack, police gunned down a 20-year-old assailant. Local media has said assailant who was killed was known to domestic intelligence agencies. A local mediaperson said, "The 20-year-old had Albanian roots but was born and raised in Vienna. He was one of 20 Austrian Islamists who had wanted to travel to Syria."

The assailant killed by police, and other potential gunmen, attacked six locations in central Vienna on Monday evening, starting outside the main synagogue. Witnesses described the men firing into crowds in bars with automatic rifles, as many people took advantage of the last evening before a nationwide curfew was introduced because of Covid-19.

Condolences poured in from around the world, with top officials from the European Union, France, Norway, Greece and the United States expressing their shock at the attacks.

US President Donald Trump said in a tweet that "our prayers are with the people of Vienna after yet another vile act of terrorism in Europe."

(With inputs from Reuters)

Read Entire Article